Saturday, October 5, 2013

Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 Build Part 2

So, now that vacation, pneumonia, and a work catastrophe are out of the way, time to get back to working on this project.  Since it is my first real build, I'm going to practice.  Today, it's the fingerboard.  I'm planning on making it out of ebony, but I grabbed a 1x3 piece of red oak, 4 ft long to practice on from Home Depot.  I've been working on ideas of how to radius the board and I thought I would go with making a 12" radius sanding block and do it the hard way.  Instead, I decided to make a 12" radius jig and use the router to do the deed.  I won't go into the details as there are other jigs out there on the internet with detailed instructions.  Here's my version.







So... The only issues from the jig build I ran into was a not, perfectly accurate radius while free-handing the cut on the band-saw.  I little more sanding and the slide should be improved.  With the weight of the router, there's not too much problem.  Other issue was I cut the gap in the base of the jig a little too wide allowing the blank to shift slightly back and forth.  Thankfully, the height was snug enough to hold it mostly in place.

So, I cut the radius using a 1/2" diameter bit making radial passes and then moving the board up another step.  It was a little awkward at first trying to hold the board in place.  If you use this type of jig, make sure you support the entry end of the board, as the cut side will no longer fit in the base slot after it has been trimmed down.  This could lead to the board arching upward and getting a little too much of a cut.  Here's the initial results of the passes.  Not pretty, but nothing a little sanding can't take care of.  Overall, very happy with the results of my first timer try.





previous, next

No comments:

Post a Comment